Organizing an Event

As an event organizer, you should be aware of your responsibilities, including possibly needing to request a Special Occasion Licence (SOL).

Please remember that serving alcohol in social events held on campus is a privilege not a right. This privilege comes with expected responsible behaviour and as such it requires all parties to honour their commitments and adhere to local laws and UBC policies.

The Associate Dean, Education and Professional Development (or designate) signs all Orientation event proposals and SOL requests for events in Applied Science. For SOL events held in School/Department/Program spaces, the person requesting must get permission from the respective Department Head/School/Program Director and location administrator associated with where the event will take place.

Please review the following information and steps to make sure that you have all the necessary permissions for your event to go smoothly:

Forms & Information:

  1. Complete the Scheduling Services and RCMP Event Requests Forms and read through the Special Occasion License Checklist
  2. Review this addition Faculty-specific information before submitting your proposal form
  3. Fill out the After Event Form within 2 weeks after your event

For any questions or issues, please contact:

Richard Colwell
Safety and Facilities Officer
Phone: 604.822.2273
Office: EDC 235