Everyone plays a role in making UBC’s Vancouver campus a safe and welcoming place. Sign up for UBC Alert to receive critical campus emergency updates on your phone.
If you have immediate safety concerns for yourself or others, first, call 9.1.1, then call campus security at 604.822.2222
- In an immediate threat to safety, call 9.1.1.
- Trust your instincts: If you need help, feel threatened, or notice suspicious activity, call Campus Security on a Blue Phone or at 604.822.2222
- Practice being aware of your surroundings
- Remember that asserting your own personal boundaries is your right
- Respect others’ boundaries and treat them with respect
- If you see someone who needs help, or you see others engaging in harmful behaviour, speak up and get involved or contact someone who can assist. Stand up for the respect you and others deserve.
If you don’t want to walk alone after dark, you don’t have to. Plan to walk with friends, contact AMS Safewalk or UBC Campus Security for a friendly escort across campus. You might also consider taking the TransLink Community Shuttles.
|UBC Campus Security escort across campus||
|AMS Safewalk escort across campus||
|TransLink Community Shuttles|
- Don’t leave valuables like your phone or computer unattended. It can only take a few seconds for them to disappear
- Password protect your mobile devices to keep them secure
- Install location software on each mobile device so it’s easier to find if lost or stolen
- Use a strong lock for your bike
- Make copies of your important documents (including passport, study permit and/or work permit) and lock the originals somewhere safe
- Consider using encrypted or password-enabled external drives
- Keep personal data safe. Don’t share credit card numbers, your student number, passwords, phone number, or address on social networks or on sites that aren’t secure. Reputable organizations will never ask for your personal information over email
It’s OK to feel unsure about how to respond. Choosing any action over remaining silent is always the best option.
- Emergencies, immediate threats to safety, or crimes in progress: Call 911
- Threats, bullying, harassment, or harmful behaviour: Call Campus Security at 604.822.2222
- Broken lights, overgrown landscaping, or unsafe building infrastructure: Call Building Operations at 604.822.2173