Requests and Appeals

This page provides links to the Request and Appeal forms for Engineering Student Services (ESS). If you have any questions about the content of these forms, please contact ESS.

This is an offline form. Use this form if online registration has closed or if you are auditing a course.
Download Form

Click on the button below to submit a request for academic concession in the form of a deferred final exam only. For more information regarding Exams and Concessions, please see the FAQ page.
Note: For any professional development or leadership opportunities that require you to miss a final exam, you must also complete the Course Absence Request form (below).

Academic Concession Form

This is an offline form. Please read Request for Transfer Credits for instructions on how to submit this form.
Download Form

While space in most Engineering programs is extremely limited, students seeking to switch programs may submit their request using this form.

Application period: March 15 - May 15

Note: Requests for Engineering Interdepartmental Transfer will not be reviewed until late summer of 2019. Applicants can expect to learn of an outcome to their request shortly thereafter.
Engineering Interdepartmental Transfer Form

Click on the button below to submit a request for a Letter of Permission. For more information regarding LoPs, please see the FAQ page.
Take Courses Outside UBC Form

Please fill out the Course Absence Request form for any professional development or leadership opportunities that require you to miss scheduled coursework.

For events that you know will occur during the final exam period:

  • Notice is required before the end of the second week of classes to give maximum time to accommodate the activity, and
  • You are still required to submit the Request for Academic Concession Form (above). In the space provided to outline reason(s) for missing final exam, merely indicate that you have submitted this Course Absence Form.

For events outside of the final exam period:

  • Submit the form a minimum of one month in advance of the activity

Formal approval and accommodations are at the discretion of the course instructor. Please note, you will need to fill out one form for every course that you are missing during the time that you are away.

Steps for approval:

  1. Fill out form with information about your activity
  2. Print off form
  3. Have the form signed by your faculty or staff advisor associated with the activity (if you do not have a staff/faculty advisor, please contact for approval)
  4. Meet with your professor and discuss a plan to make-up missed work
  5. Once your professor has signed, the student will return the form to ESS to have it date stamped. Please keep a copy for your records.

Any questions can be directed to APSC Professional Development at

Download Form

Currently attending BASc students whose most recent Academic Standing is "Failed Year, Required to Discontinue" or "Failed Year, Required to Withdraw" may use this form to appeal to the Faculty Academic Committee for permission to continue in their studies if there are extenuating circumstances that affected their academic performance.


  1. Before submitting your appeal, please read section titled "Failed Year" information in the FAQs. You should understand this process and requirements; and if your appeal is unsuccessful, you should note what steps you will be expected to take in the following year so that your request for readmission is more likely to be successful.
  2. Please do not submit this form until you have received confirmation from Engineering Student Services of a Failed Year status in late May or early June.
  3. When submitting your appeal, you will need to include all supporting documentation - a completed file - at the same time. You will not be able to submit any documents or information at a later date, or after you have been refused, so please make sure your appeal application is complete before submitting it. If you experience any issue uploading your supporting documentation at the time of submission, contact our office immediately.

Deadline: Friday, June 14, 2019, 4pm.

Failed Year Appeal Form

Program placement decisions are generally final, but students who believe that they have not been admitted to a program due to an error in process or who believe they deserve special consideration due to extenuating circumstances may appeal their placement decision. Such requests, along with supporting documentation, must be submitted using the Appeal for Reconsideration of Second Year Placement form found below.

Reconsideration of 2nd Year Placement Form

Looking for Applications?

Please visit one of the following pages: