Transfer Credit

Looking to see if you have transfer credit from another institution?

First – you have to be admitted to UBC before we will assess transfer credit (we cannot do pre-assessments). If you have been admitted to UBC, check to see if you have received credit: look in your Student Services Centre (SSC) account under the ‘Grades and Records’ tab to see if UBC has given you the transfer credit you were expecting.

Notes on Transfer Credit

  1. Transfer credit is given as closely as possible to specific UBC courses. When an exact UBC equivalent does not exist, unassigned transfer credit is given as closely as possible to the originating course, either at the subject level (e.g., ENGL 1st (3) = 3 credits for a 1st year English course), faculty level (i.e., ARTS), or general elective level (ELEV).
  2. If you see a specific course, e.g. ENGL 112, you have been given credit for that course and do not have to retake it. However, the grade for this course will not be used in any UBC GPA calculations, for example 2nd Year Placement or admission to the Co-op program. The credit will count towards your final credit count to graduate (if it is part of your degree requirements).
  3. If you receive unassigned credit, e.g. HIST 1st (3), you have been granted 3 credits for 1st year level History. This may satisfy your degree requirements (for example, the three credits can count towards your Humanities/Social Sciences Electives), so no further action is required. Some GEOG courses are exceptions, so you need to confirm with Engineering Student Services.

High School Credit – AP/IB/A-levels/GSC

If you have taken AP, IB, A-level or GCSE-level courses, you may be able to receive university credit. Your grade in the course will determine if you get credit here at UBC. Please check the requirements to determine if you will receive credit.

Please note the following:

  1. For natural science-based courses: We strongly recommend that you disregard the credit you have received and re-take the required first year Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics courses in your standard timetable. There may be some significant differences in the material covered compared to our courses, and these courses in the 1st year program are foundational for most other upper-level engineering courses.
  2. All other courses (English and the Humanities & Social Sciences elective): First you should register for a full 37-credit schedule and wait for your results. Usually by mid-late July, when you know you will get credit for your course, you can make changes to your registration yourself in the Student Service Centre. Any changes should be completed by the add/drop deadline. Your options include:
    • You can choose to take the credit, drop the corresponding UBC course from your schedule, and have a lighter term.
    • You can substitute the courses dropped with other courses which fulfill your degree requirements.
    • You can retake the course, with the goal of improving your overall GPA. If you choose this option, however, you should be aware that if you retake the course, you will forfeit your previous credit.
  3. While your credit may count towards your graduation requirements, your grade from the course(s) will not be noted in the system or count toward the calculation of your UBC GPA (e.g. your high grade in AP English will not be counted in your GPA for 2nd Year Placement or admission to the Co-op program).
  4. Please contact your Enrolment Services Professional (ESP) if you have advanced credit but it is not showing on your account.

UBC Science One Credit

If you have successfully completed UBC’s Science One program, you will receive credit for CHEM 154 (3 credits), MATH 100 (3 credits), MATH 101 (3 credits) and PHYS 157, 158, 159.

Institutions within British Columbia

If you have successfully completed courses at an institution within the BC Transfer System, you can get the corresponding transfer credit as published in the BC Transfer Guide. Transfer credit published on the BC Transfer Guide has already been reviewed through a formal articulation process, so no further assessment by Engineering Student Services is necessary.

Also, you can see what other courses Science students typically take and receive equivalent credit for engineering courses.

If your credit has not been applied correctly, please contact Engineering Student Services.

Please Note: UBC does not do pre-assessments of credit. You have to be admitted to UBC before we will assess transfer credit.

Institutions outside of British Columbia

If you receive unassigned credit that you think is directly equivalent to any of our courses, you can request a re-assessment of your credit on a course-by-course basis (UBC Okanagan students should contact the School of Engineering, Okanagan, regarding transfer credit questions).

  • Before asking for an assessment, please make sure you have the following information: a detailed course syllabus (containing title/author of textbook used, chapters and topics covered, and a breakdown of how the course is evaluated) and the name of the UBC course with the name of the corresponding course from your home institution for which you are seeking credit. You can submit one request even if you are requesting an assessment on more than one course, with all the information above, but group the course outlines by subject area (i.e. Physics requests in one attachment and Math in another). Each attachment should be carefully labelled with your name and the subject (i.e. Joe Smith – Physics).
  • Submit this information, along with your full name and student number using the online ‘Contact Us’ form and selecting ‘Transfer Credit’ in the “What is your question regarding?” section.

Please Note:

  1. UBC does not do pre-assessments of credit. You have to be admitted to UBC before we will assess transfer credit.
  2. The process can be quite lengthy so please be prepared to register for courses or year level for which you think you may already have credit. Your credit may not be processed in time for registration.
  3. For students looking to be placed in 2nd Year: you will only be placed in 2nd Year if you have at least 27 corresponding credits that are equivalent to our 1st Year Program (You may receive up to 60 credits from another institution but you cannot be placed in a specific program until the 1st year foundational courses are complete. If you are missing too many credits from our first year program, you will be at a significant disadvantage taking courses that require these prerequisite courses to succeed).
  4. Once you receive the credit, you can drop the corresponding course. While you should not have to repeat material you have already covered, it is necessary for your graduation and we are required to ensure that the course material covered is equivalent to ours and not just vaguely similar (this is necessary for accreditation of our programs with the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board). It may be possible to get an exemption from a course, if you are not able to get credit; exemptions are dealt with on a case by case basis and can be addressed after your credit has been re-assessed.