Explore, and discover your future.
Ready for your second year at UBC Engineering Vancouver?
Here are your next steps to prepare for 2nd-year.
- Step 1: Explore your options - Lunchtime Explorations and Departments & Programs
- Step 2: Submit your preferences
- Step 3: Check our Frequently Asked Questions
- Wednesday, Jan 29: Geological Engineering | 11:30-1pm
- Thursday, Jan 30: Materials Engineering | 12-2pm | Frank Forward | Room 217
- Thursday, Feb 6: Integrated Engineering | 11:30 - 2pm | H.R. MacMillan Building | 2357 Main Mall | Room 76 (basement level)
- Thursday, Feb 13: Chemical & Biological | 11:30 - 1pm | Chemical & Biological Building | Rm 3.18 | 2360 East Mall | Pop and Pizza provided
- Thursday, Feb 13: Mechanical Engineering Options Presentation | 12 – 1pm | MCLD 228
- Tuesday, Feb 25: Mechatronics Engineering Options Presentation | 12 – 1pm | MCLD 418 | Presented by Dr. Yusuf Altintas. Pizza and drinks will be provided.
- Thursday, Feb 27: Engineering Physics | 12:30 - open, talks will start at 12:30 - 1:30pm approx. but students are welcome to remain later and join a small group for a tour of the project lab and clubhouse and to ask more questions | Hennings 201.
Thursday, Mar 6: Electrical & Computer |12:00 - 1:30pm | KAIS 2020/2030 | Faculty, staff, students and the ECE Student Society will be available to answer questions. This is a casual event so don't worry about dressing up or watching a lengthy presentation. | Pizza and refreshments will be provided. | More info available here.
- Thursday, Mar 13: Mining Engineering | Presentation in KAIS 1110 | BBQ outside Frank Froward | Come and talk to Industry members as well.
- Thursday, Mar 27: Civil Engineering | 12:00 -1:30pm | Design studio | CEME 1005
Explore - the departments and programs:
Regardless of the industry or field your passion lies within, you can practice your specialty within an ever growing diversity of industries.
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical & Biological Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering. This program shares a common 2nd-year with Electrical Engineering.
- Electrical Engineering. This program shares a common 2nd-year with Computer Engineering.
- Engineering Physics. In addition to the placement form, Engineering Physics requires all candidates to meet with the selection committee in person (video or teleconference where required). See Engineering Physics for further details.
- Environmental Engineering (the joint UNBC/UBC option is available but requires moving to Prince George for a good portion of your degree and a separate application process. If you are interested in this option, please review the information posted here.
- Geological Engineering
- Integrated Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- UBC Engineering Co-op
- UBC Okanagan Civil Engineering
- UBC Okanagan Electrical Engineering
- UBC Okanagan Mechanical Engineering
Click on the button below to access the Program Preference form for 2nd year placement. It will be available for you to fill in/update/change until APRIL 30.
1. Log in to the form with your CWL (Campus Wide Login).
2. Check your information on the form – correct in your SSC account if necessary.
3. Rank your preferences.
4. Support your 1st choice: Tell us why you think you should be considered for your program of choice.
5. Registration information from UBC has not yet been released so the following are general guidelines/dates. This will be updated by the start of the placement process. Placements for current UBC Engineering students will be made in mid-June and your registration should be early-mid July. Students transferring into UBC Engineering in 2nd-year will be placed over the summer, after you have been admitted to UBC. Check your account for your placement and registration date/time.
6. And remember, in our last round, over 90% of students got their first or second choice.
Check our Frequently Asked Questions