For queries about Registration, including questions about Standard Time Tables, electives, and transfer credit, please visit FAQs – Registration.

2nd Year Placement

Information about the 2nd Year Placement process, including FAQs, can be found on the 2nd Year Placement page.


Degree Requirements

What communication requirements do I need to progress to my next year level/or take a full course load?

LPI must be completed before entering 2nd year (or have satisfied one of the exemptions)
ENGL 112* must be completed before entering 3rd year
APSC 201* must be completed before entering 4th year

If you do not complete the courses when required, you will be restricted in how many courses you take until you complete the course. You will be limited to 12 credits in Term 1 and you won't be able to register in any courses in Term 2 until you complete the communication requirement.
*The 12 credit leeway is one time only. If the communication requirement (ENGL 112 or APSC 201) is not met in Term 1, students will be restricted to 3 credits in Term 2 which must be used to register in either ENGL 112, or 110, or 111 (or equivalent) or APSC 201 (or equivalent).

Do I have to take the Language Proficiency Index (LPI) test?

To take an English course at UBC, you must either have an LPI exemption or write the LPI test. If you do not have an LPI exemption OR have not passed the LPI by the Department of English's deadline, you will not be able to take English in Term 1 and will be dropped from your Term 1 English class (newly-admitted students from outside of British Columbia may request to write the LPI test later). If you know you have to take the LPI, we suggest registering for your English course in Term 2, as this will give you more time to write the LPI. Check the LPI deadline to take English in Term 2. Please check the LPI website for more information about this requirement.

What if I have a communication block and am on academic probation?

The LPI registration block takes precedence over the academic probation block. Your communication requirement must be successfully completed first.

Once the communication requirement is completed, you must still fulfill the conditions of academic probation (minimum 12 credits/term in both terms, with required sessional average).

Can I take my English requirement somewhere else?

As a UBC student, you must complete your English requirement here at UBC (unless you have been granted AP/IB advanced credits or transfer credit prior to coming to UBC).

I don’t see English or a complementary studies elective on my 1st Year STT. Do I have to add them?

Yes—you have to ADD these courses to your timetable. Your timetable has MOST of your courses. Please make sure you add English 112 (or 110 or 111) and a complementary studies elective.

All the English courses are full. What do I do?

If you can't register for English 112 or 110 or 111 , add yourself to the wait list on the SSC. If you are having problems registering for a waiting list, please contact the First-Year English Office. The English department will contact you by late August for Term 1 or during December for Term 2 about registration in the course. Although English 112 is recommended (as helpful prerequisites for APSC 201 or equivalent next year), you can also take English 110 or 111 to satisfy your English requirement. Students often drop and add courses throughout the summer and in the first couple weeks of September. You can also keep checking to see if any seats have become available.

What is considered a humanities and social science/complementary studies elective?

Most courses in the Faculty of Arts are humanities and social science courses (part of your complementary studies elective requirements), with the exception of physical geography courses, statistics courses, technical or natural science courses, studio/performance courses in fine arts, music and theatre (further exceptions include ARCL 140, CLST 301, PHIL 125, PHIL 220, PSYC 218). You can take 3 credits of a language course and count it as a humanities and social science elective.

I don’t see English or a complementary studies elective on my 1st Year STT. Do I have to add them?

Yes—you have to ADD these courses to your timetable. Your timetable has MOST of your courses. Please make sure you add English 112 (or 110 or 111) AND a humanities and social sciences elective (part of your complementary studies elective requirements).

What other complementary studies electives do I have to take?

As part of the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board requirements, you need to complete courses from each of the five sections in the Complementary Studies section of your Degree Requirements. Some courses are already built into your standard timetable. You must complete all your degree requirements before you can graduate (a minimum of 20 credits of complementary studies elective courses).

Academic Standing

For information on how academic probation will be determined, please refer to the Academic Standing and Promotion Requirements section of the UBC Calendar.

An academic standing is determined after the completion of the Winter Session. Engineering Student Services will notify students who have received an academic probation standing. Details about being on probation, the terms of the probation and the steps you need to take to return to 'good standing' will be outlined in the email notice.

Students currently attending UBC

Currently attending BASc students whose most recent academic standing is "Failed Year, Required to Discontinue" or "Failed Year, Required to Withdraw" may use the Appeal for Permission to Continue Following a Failed Year form to appeal to the Faculty Academic Committee for permission to continue in their studies if there are extenuating circumstances that affected their academic performance.

Please do not submit the form until after you have received confirmation from Engineering Student Services of a failed year status towards the end of May or early June. Not all appeals will be successful. You are encouraged to have an alternate plan if you are seeking readmission in a future year. An alternate plan may include one of the following:

  • if you are in first year, completing 30 relevant credits at another university or college, e.g. those institutions offering an Engineering Transfer program,
  • completing one year of relevant technical work if no additional coursework can be found,
  • some combination of relevant academic study and engineering related work experience which demonstrates high potential to have success in the program.

Students not currently attending and reapplying to the same program

Students who have been out of the program for 12 months or more should submit their application for readmission through the Student Service Centre (SSC). The application for readmission deadline is typically mid January for September readmission. The appeal letter and supporting documentation are submitted directly to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at admissions.inquiry@ubc.ca.

Appeal Guidelines

  • Clearly and concisely report any circumstances which negatively affected your academic performance.
    • Identify supports that have been used to address the extenuating circumstances.
  • For currently attending students, identify a detailed action plan that you will use to overcome these circumstances and have academic success going forward.
  • For students who are not currently attending, include a statement on the steps you have taken to be successful during the time away from the program and how you plan on maintaining success if you are permitted to return. Reference letters are required if you have been working (see Supporting Documentation below).
  • Attach relevant documentation in support of the grounds for your appeal.

Ensure all relevant information is included in your statement of appeal. An Appeal to the Faculty Academic Committee will not be reconsidered in the same year.

Supporting Documentation

Examples of supporting documentation include medical notes, reference letters attesting to the nature of the technical work and performance review, etc. There is no limitation on the number of supporting documentation but they should be directly related to the circumstances and in support of your appeal.

The Faculty Academic Committee convenes during the summer to review appeals on academic standing. You will receive a response from either Engineering Student Services or the Undergraduate Admissions Office with the outcome of your appeal.

For additional information on a failed year, please read this section in the UBC Academic Calendar: Academic Standing and Promotion Requirements.


Exams and Concessions

I've missed a final exam. What do I do?

If you have missed a final exam due to medical illness or any other extenuating circumstances, you may ask for  Academic Concession in the form of a deferred exam by submitting the Request for Deferred Exam (Academic Concession) form - Academic Concession Request forms must be submitted within 72 hours of your missed exam. You will need to provide official documentation to support your request. Your original (hardcopy) documentation must be submitted to the ESS Office prior to review and notification of request status (granted/refused).

Please note that academic concessions are considered a privilege, not a right. A deferred exam may be refused to a student who is failing a course prior to the final exam. 'Standing deferred' (SD) status will be granted only for courses which you did not write the final exam.

I know I am going to miss an exam. What do I do?

If a student knows in advance s/he is going to miss a final exam, s/he should submit the academic concession form as soon as possible. Some examples of this may include a scheduled medical appointment that cannot be changed or a professional development or leadership opportunity such as a UBC-sanctioned team event/commitment. With the latter, the request for concession must also be accompanied by the Course Absence Request form.

When is the exam period?

Final exams are held at the end of each Winter term in December and April, and June and August for the Summer terms. You are expected to be available for the entire examination period. If you make personal commitments during the examination period, you do so at your own risk.

I want to book my flight home. When will the exam schedule be available?

The exam schedule for Winter Term 1 is usually available in mid-October. The Winter Term 2 schedule is usually available in mid-February. Summer exam schedules and locations are posted approximately three weeks prior to exams.

What exam changes can I expect after the exam schedule is posted?

The only changes that are made to the exam schedule are those requested by the department and/or instructor. After the exam schedule has been released, ask your instructor if they plan to request an exam date change.

Why is there a second release date for the exam schedule with locations?

The mid-November and mid-March release dates are for the exam schedule with locations. It takes time to work on the room assignments for exams, therefore the exam dates are released a month prior to the exam rooms. This way students can start making travel plans earlier than mid-November or mid-March.

What is an exam clash? How do I solve it?

An examination clash is defined as multiple examinations scheduled on the same day at the same time, as listed on the UBC exam schedule for the current Winter Session.
You should contact your instructor(s) as soon as possible to determine whether an alternate writing time is available. If neither instructor can accommodate a different exam time, you need to complete the Daytime Exam Clash form available from Enrolment Services. Enrolment Services will arrange for you to write the examinations back-to-back on the original examination date, under supervision. If your exam clash occurs during an evening exam, weekend exam, or the Summer Session, the instructor is responsible for resolving the clash.

I have three exams in a row. What can I do about this?

An examination hardship is defined as three or more examinations scheduled within a 24-hour period. If you face an examination hardship you will be given an alternate examination date for the second examination causing hardship by the appropriate instructor or department. You must notify the instructor of the middle examination no later than one month prior to the examination date.

Look at your exam schedule carefully before approaching the instructor. If the start time of the third exam falls just outside the 24-hour period your situation is not an official hardship. For example, if the first exam is on Monday at 8:30 a.m., the second exam is on Monday afternoon at 3:30 p.m., and the third exam is on Tuesday at 8:30 a.m., there is no official hardship because the third exam starts just after the 24-hour period expires. Such a sequence does not need to be accommodated under the hardship policy. See the official examination hardship policy in the Calendar.

I have an exam scheduled on my religious holiday. What do I do?

UBC's policy on religious holidays requires you to notify your instructor in writing at least two weeks in advance of the exam that you are not able to attend. You must also submit a Request for Deferred Exam (Academic Concession) to Engineering Student Services. Read the Academic Concession section in the UBC Calendar for more information as well as the detailed information in UBC Policy 65: Religious Holidays.

I have been finding it difficult to successfully manage my academics throughout the entire term due to extenuating circumstances. What do I do?

A request for Academic Concession via this online form is for missed final exams only. If your situation is urgent and is not directly related to a final exam but rather considered an ongoing unforeseen circumstance during the term, please book an advising appointment with an academic advisor to discuss your situation further.

Students may request academic concession in circumstances that may adversely affect their attendance or performance in a course or program.

A request for Academic Concession via this online form is for missed final exams only. If your situation is urgent and is not directly related to a final exam but rather considered an ongoing unforeseen circumstance during the term, please book an advising appointment with an academic advisor to discuss your situation further.

Can my request be refused?

A request for Academic Concession may be refused if you have:

  • not provided supporting documentation to substantiate request
  • made repeated requests for an academic concession
  • already written the final exam
  • not attended class regularly
  • not completed a sufficient amount of the coursework (including midterm exams)
  • not made a request in a timely manner

If you have a legitimate reason (with supporting documentation) for missing a final exam, and are in good standing in your course, it is likely that your request will be approved. All requests are considered on a case-by-case basis and the faculty reserves the right to deny a request as concessions are considered a privilege, not a right.

When will I hear about the status of my request?

It is the goal of ESS to inform you of the status of your request via email by the following dates:

For Winter Session Term 1 (Sept-Dec) January 30
For Winter Session Term 2 (Jan-Apr) May 30
For Summer Session Term 1 (May-Jun) July 30
For Summer Session Term 2 (Jul-Aug) September 30

Please ensure you have submitted your original (hardcopy) documentation to the ESS Office as this will delay processing time of consideration of your request.

Biomedical Engineering Undergraduate Program

For queries about the Biomedical Engineering Undergraduate Program (BME), please visit BME FAQs.

Request to Take a Courses Outside UBC / Letter of Permission (LoP)

Students currently registered at UBC require prior written approval -- a Letter of Permission (LoP) -- in order to take courses for credit towards their BASc at another institution by correspondence, evening, summer, or regular session class. The Faculty of Applied Science has no obligation to grant any transfer credit unless a LoP has been obtained in advance.

In many cases, a LoP is required from UBC in order for you to register at another institution.

In general, if the course is offered at UBC during the time that a student is interested in taking the course, the Faculty prefers the student enroll in the UBC course.

Letters of Permission are only issued to students in good standing who are wanting to take courses at an accredited Canadian institution.

LoPs are not required for students participating in exchange programs such as Go Global or Coordinated International Exchange (CIE).

  • If a course is not offered at UBC and it is needed as a prerequisite to another course. For example, if a student wants to take MATH 100 (prerequisite to MATH 101), and MATH 100 is not offered at UBC during that term, a LoP may be considered.
  • If a student is interested in taking a course or two to lighten their course load in the following session.
  • Courses that may be considered include: Impact of Technology on Society elective, Humanities and Social Science elective and/or Math courses. Please note that if a student takes a course from a specific second year program, and does not get placed into that program, s/he may not be able to use the course to fulfill degree requirements.
  • If a student is hoping to take a course to complete first year program requirements.
  • If a student is on co-op and would like to take one course to meet degree requirements while they are away from UBC. A student wanting to take two courses while on co-op would require both permission from a co-op coordinator and his/her employer.

Refer to the BC Transfer Guide to ensure the transferability of the courses you wish to take. Please note that some institutions do offer transferable distance education/online course options.

In general, if the course is offered at UBC during the time that a student is interested in taking the course, the Faculty prefers the student enroll in the UBC course.

Letters of Permission are only issued to students in good standing who are wanting to take courses at an accredited Canadian institution.

    • A LoP will be refused if a student has already received 60 transfer credits towards his/her degree.
    • Students requesting a LoP due to health concerns must provide supporting documentation to support their request.
    • Students will not be granted a LoP for a course to be used towards a Minor. (Transfer credits granted prior to entering engineering may be applied towards the minor.)
    • Civil Engineering: CIVL students must take the Impact of Technology on Society elective at UBC. No LoP will be granted.

It is important to note that this list is not exhaustive. Consideration for a LoP is on a case-by-case basis and at the discretion of the faculty.

If you believe your request requires special consideration due to extenuating circumstances, please feel free to book an appointment with an ESS advisor to speak about your specific situation.

        • The average turnaround time for a student to receive notification after submitting a Letter of Permission request is approximately three to four weeks. Please plan accordingly.
        • It is important to note that if a course has not yet been assessed as transferable to a comparable UBC course, a student will be asked to provide a complete course outline in order for the course to be assessed. In this instance, a longer turnaround time is required.

No, an LoP is not needed. However, you will need to fill out a Cross-Campus registration form. Please carefully review the criteria found here, and if you meet them, bring the completed application form to Engineering Student Services for approval.

Get Help with Your Courses

I need help. Who can I talk to?

Advisors in Engineering Student Services are available both on a drop-in basis and by appointment.

I’m not doing well in my courses; what can I do?

Please drop by Engineering Student Services or book an appointment with one of our academic advisors. In the meantime, check out the Academic Support resources.

I have failed MATH 100, what should I do?

If you failed Math 100 in term one, you will need to drop Math 101 from your STT for term 2. You can do that through your SSC anytime until the add/drop deadline. The rest of your courses in term two will not be impacted without Math 100.

Since Math 100 and Math 101 are pre-requisites for most Engineering second year courses, it is highly recommended that you complete Math 100 and Math 101 over the summer term. Math 100 will be offered in the first part of summer, from May until mid-June. Math 101 will be offered in the second part of summer, from July until mid-August. Summer schedules are expected to be posted in mid-February. Be sure to check your SSC for dates before the Reading Break in Term 2.

This is an opportunity to reflect on your experience so far at UBC. There are numerous academic supports available to help you succeed, from Peer Academic Coaching to group tutoring to Engineering Advisors. Some helpful places to start are provided here for your reference.

Can I get help with my courses

There are plenty or resources to help you with your courses, from Physics, to English, to Math. Go through the list and see what is most appropriate for you.