Domestic Students – The NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA)
Take advantage of this amazing opportunity to do research at the undergraduate level.
The goals of the NSERC USRA program are to:
- To stimulate interest in natural sciences and engineering
- To provide career related work experience for the award recipient/student
- To provide students with financial support
Please familiarize with the award and the Eligibility requirements through the information found on UBC NSERC USRA webpage.
The following departments have specific instructions for applying to a NSERC USRA:
- Chemical & Biological Engineering – Apply by Wednesday, February 14th. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering – Contact the Department at email@example.com
- School of Engineering – UBC Okanagan
The Faculty of Applied Science is provided with a quota of NSERC USRA awards annually for the UBC Vancouver and Okanagan campuses. There is one application deadline per academic year, and a USRA can be held in the Summer (May 1 to August 31), Fall (September 1 to December 31), or Winter (January 1 to April 31) term.
Please read the documents below – these are important reference tools and required documents, for students, supervisors, and coordinators that will help to ensure the applicants are eligible and complete the application correctly.
- Eligible grant holders in UBC – Vancouver Applied Science
- Eligible grant holders in UBCO – School of Engineering
- List of Eligible Grants for 18-19
- NSERC – List of Research Subject Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships
- NSERC USRA Form 202 Common Errors 18-19 (Form 202 – Part I sample / Form 202 – Part II sample)
- NSERC USRA Info for Faculty Coordinators
- NSERC USRA Info for Potential Supervisors
International Students – Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Award
Students will hold the awards preferably during the summer term for roughly full-time work.
- These awards have a value of $4,500. This amount will be reimbursed to your project supervisor’s account. Supervisors are required to pay a minimum wage over 16 weeks (inclusive of 4% vacation pay), as well as benefits (CPP, EI, WCB) amounting to approximately 7.48%. For more information on value and payment, please refer to the Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Awards webpage.
- Awards will be allocated to the Faculty of Applied Science based on the current enrolment numbers of undergraduate international students.
- Students must have a B- 68% cumulative GPA and have completed a minimum of first year or two terms.
- Apply directly to the APSC Dean’s Office, not to their department as the domestic NSERC USRA students do.
- Any Faculty of Applied Science, Engineering faculty member with a funding can agree to be the research supervisor.
- Email the PDF form and PDF format scans of any non-UBC transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline for Summer 2018 awards: Monday, March 5, 2018 at 4pm (application information will be available starting January 2018).