Application deadline is October 15, 2018.
The Shell Experiential Learning Fund (SELF) provides funding for University of British Columbia students to participate in enhanced educational experiences. Types of activities eligible for funding include, but are not restricted to, student teams, conference sponsorship, and special projects and initiatives.
Key criteria considered by the SELF Selection Committee are:
- Applications are complete and applicant(s) deemed to be eligible
- Quality of enhanced educational experience to be realized for the student(s)
- Relevance to Shell Canada’s business operations or employees
- Priority will be placed on projects related to the Oil and Gas industry and in the Faculties of Engineering and Science (Geosciences) and School of Business.
Funding is provided by Shell Canada. Limits for applications shall not exceed the total cost of the activity and should range from $1,000 -$5,000 per application.
An event will also be held to showcase projects or share learning that has occurred through this initiative with Shell Representatives in March 2019, final date to be determined.
Process for Application
Student Eligibility Regulations:
- All applicants must be students registered at the University of British Columbia and be in good standing at the time of the application, and during the period of the activity/project itself. This includes full-time or part-time undergraduate students.
- Applications will be accepted from students, student groups, clubs, teams or associations (CTAs) that must be registered at the University of British Columbia and/or be endorsed by their home Faculty/School. CTAs must provide evidence they have the administrative capacity to manage funds.
- Each funded applicant is required to submit a brief final report that summarizes the outcomes of their event/project/travel. Students/Student Groups who do not submit a Final Report will not be eligible for funding for the next year.
- Each funded applicant will only be reimbursed for expenses incurred up to August 30th regardless of the amount of the award approved. Unspent monies cannot be carried forward to the next year.
Funding Eligibility Regulations:
- Student applicants MUST meet eligibility regulations as listed in Student Eligibility Regulations above.
- Applications must be received before the application deadline.
- The activity, project or travel must occur after the application deadline.
- Students should be aware that greater consideration will be granted to applications that benefit a greater number of the student body, directly or indirectly.
- Please note the following restrictions on funding:
- Meal costs are considered normal living expenses and therefore will not be considered for reimbursement.
- No alcoholic beverages shall be reimbursed through funding from this Fund.
- Where vehicle mileage is claimed, standard UBC rates shall apply.
- Travel and accommodation expenses should be reasonable.
Sample Projects and Award of Funding:
Some examples of projects that are eligible for funding include the following:
- Student clubs activities
- Design projects
- Attendance at Oil & Gas or energy related conferences
- Field trips
- Education-related activities (e.g. scientific or engineering competitions, etc.)
Notification and results dissemination
All successful applicants will be notified via e-mail. Applicants must ensure that the e-mail contact information listed on their application is current.
There is a single application process each year.
Deadline for submitting applications: Monday, October 15, 2018. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
Week of November 5, 2018. Announcement of funding allocations. The Coordinator will issue an e-mail to successful applicants indicating the amounts awarded.
Monday, November 5, 2018. The first day for expenditure claims.
Friday, August 30, 2019. Last day for expenditure claims & Final Report due.
How to apply
Submit a complete SELF Application Form online, by the relevant deadline.
All successful applicants will need to submit a complete SELF Final Report online, which includes a financial accounting for SELF monies and reflection on the benefits and outcomes of the activity.
Noelle Yeung, Development Coordinator
UBC Faculty of Applied Science
290-2360 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3
Process for Reimbursement
All payment reimbursements are receipt-based and must be submitted by August 30th. The only exception is if the funding being requested is for an event occurring after August 30th. If this is the case, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that he/she has communicated the date of the event with the Coordinator and the Finance Manager. Original receipts must be submitted to the Faculty Dean’s office or your department finance person as you would normally do. Successful applicants groups are required to identify one person, to be noted on the application form, who will be the ONLY contact for the group in all matters relating to the Fund – administration, reporting and reimbursement.
Process for Reporting
Successful applicants are required to submit a Final Report to the Coordinator before or by August 30th. The only exception is if the funding being requested is for an event occurring after August 30th. If this is the case, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that he/she has communicated the date of the event with the Coordinator and the Finance Manager. Applicants who do not submit a Final Report will not be eligible for following-year funding.